As we’ve learned, sunscreen is one of the most important steps in your daily skin care regimen. The most effective sunscreens offer broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays, reducing your risk of sunburn, cellular damage and premature aging. But not all formulations are the same. There are two basic types of sunscreens — physical and chemical — which protect the skin in different ways.
The active ingredients in chemical sunscreen work by absorbing ultraviolet (UV) rays into the skin, converting them into heat and releasing them from the body. Physical sunscreen on the other hand, creates a physical barrier on top of the skin to block the sun’s rays at the surface. There are many advantages to choosing a physical sunblock over a chemical sunscreen, here are just a few:
Also known as mineral sunscreen, physical sunblock uses naturally occurring mineral-based ingredients, such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which sit on top of the skin to deflect and scatter UV radiation. For optimal protection, it is important to use micronized minerals, such as those featured in Alastin® SilkSHIELD® All Mineral Sunscreen with TriHex Technology® and SkinMedica® Essential Defense Mineral Shield™.
● Works immediately after application so there’s no need to wait before going outside.
● Is less likely to irritate sensitive skin types.
● Offers the most broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
● Designed to be just as lightweight and spreadable as chemical sunscreen.
● Most medical-grade formulations have micronized minerals and don’t leave a white residue on the skin.
● Provides a bacteria-free environment which is great for acne-prone skin.
Where can I find my ideal physical sunscreen?
While the sheer number of options can be overwhelming, trust us when we say, there is a sunscreen out there that is perfect for you! You just need some help finding it — which is where we come in. At AVIE!, we offer medical-grade mineral sunscreens to fit a range of skin types, including:
● Alastin HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36 — Lightweight all-mineral formula which evens and brightens skin with a glowing tint and does not leave white residue.
● Alastin SilkSHIELD All Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 with TriHex Technology — Lightweight, fast-absorbing formula that blends in sheer and is safe for sensitive skin.
● SkinMedica Total Defense + Repair Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 34 — Rejuvenating superscreen which absorbs easily and quickly, spreads evenly and does not leave white residue.
● Image Skincare Daily Hydrating Moisturizer SPF 30+ — Hydrating, all-mineral SPF moisturizer which rubs in seamlessly, leaving a sheer, weightless finish under makeup or on its own.